Saturday 13 February 2016

ROCKWOOD HARRIERS - AGAIN



The Rockwood Harriers met at Briestfield today.  A pub and a few houses and on the the way to Thornhill Edge, then Dewsbury.  A place I once had to pass through when commuting.  A place where a huge horse box used to be parked at the narrow roadside.  A place where one had to be aware of horse traffic.   Anyway the Rockwood Harriers met there today.  It was a dull day.  The 'field' was small.


Copyright image by David Swanbury


Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

                            A motley crew. Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury


Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

Copyright image by David Swanbury

I was reminded today while ‘hanging loose’ of two 78rpm records and an accompanying book that I had, and maybe still do in the archives somewhere.  It was called 'Hunting by Ear' by Ludwig Koch.  Anyway it was a great guide for a budding enthusiast.   I just looked it up on Google and I think I will have to see if I have still got mine as in the USofA there is one for sale for $250!            Hunting by Ear

The reason I was reminded of it was the fact that in this completely new countryside to me today I had no idea whatsoever where the Rockwood had got to.  There was an extensive length of woodland where they may have gone but there was no visible indication anywhere and there was no sound.  Why am I doing so badly at this foot-following!  I know I am a bit slow.

These ponies were reacting to a friend on his Quad bike.  Copyright image by David Swanbury

These two ponies were no help.  They were just staring into space. Copyright image by David Swanbury

I heard the sound of silence.  I ate my fried egg, mushroom and pepperoni toasted sandwich.   I hung about. I walked around.  But no sound of the horn.  No huntsman's voice.  No hound spoke.  Ludwig, bless him, was no help today.  I watched the birds for signs. I watched the livestock for signs.  Well there was none except ponies and none of them showed any interest in anything and their senses are far more acute than mine.  So I gave up early yet again!  It's enough to drive one back to beagling and the almost non stop music.

Just to add insult to injury I had a Bush record player that some years ago, despite being in pristine condition, fetched next to nothing at the local sale room where it was sold after a unique decision of mine to get rid of ‘something that might come in’.  But it was taking up space and anyway everything is digital and what not now isn't it!

I thought I would look that up on Google too.  One is for sale for £295! 


Another bad decision!

































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment