Sunday 16 February 2014

HEDGE LAYING



Some years ago, a friend with a small farm had the internal dry stone walls removed.   He replaced them with a double fence and planted hedgerows in the centre.

The hedges proved to be a haven for wildlife and whilst I did not understand at the time why he had done this rather drastic change it was an inspirational improvement.

A couple of years or so ago the hedges were strong and bushy so they needed some attention.  They needed laying.

Unfortunately I don’t know the name of the professional who did the laying but I think he came from Barnsley.  If I find out I will add his name as he deserves the mention.

I don’t recall ever seeing anyone lay hedges in this area but this man did a brilliant job and laid the hedges in three distinct styles. 

It was autumn



Someone dogwalking to chat to.



 Derbyshire style.



Midland style.



Westmorland – Lancashire style.



A view between the original double stockproof fencing of the one above which replaced the walls and was a barrier of protection for the original young planted saplings,


Passing the other day it looked to me as though the hedges had been trimmed recently so maybe when there is a good spring growth I will add pictures here of how they have developed.