Wednesday 1 January 2014

SCAMMONDEN AND DEER HILL



Saturday, 28th December 2013 and 1st January 2014 are notable only for the dire weather of strong gusting wind and at some point - rain.  Overcast dark cloud cover means virtually no photography.

Saturday we met at the Jack O’Mitre, another pub that changed its name some years ago from the Upper Royal George, maybe because there is a Lower Royal George a hundred yards down the road.  Two pubs close together on the A640 Scammonden Road and very little else   Needless to say we still tend to speak of “t’Upper Royal” which dates back to 1457 although what name it had then I don’t know; maybe the “t’Upper Henry”. 

t'Upper Royal - Sorry - Jack O'Mitre.  
I only noticed when looking at this one before downloading that there is a bit of a rainbow on the right; portent of things to come.


The O'Mitre bit baffles me and I will have to find out what it is about sometime.  The pub sign shows a rather shifty looking codger with his dog and pewter tankard but no clue as to the 'Mitre' part that I can see.   But this is a very welcoming place and they certainly look after us when we go there.


View from Worts Hill.  The M62 snakes around over to the left looking towards the Outlane turn off for Huddersfield 


Looking the other way.


And back again for a longer view from Worts Hill of Scammonden


Lane in deep shadow as there were some periods of bright low sun but the wind was a pain.



I wonder if the quad was a Christmas present?


From then on it was wind and rain and I left

So 1st January from Will's O' Nat's -  Not much to show for today as it was a wild  wet start.



A quick snap.  I never found out who the chap on the right was as he spoke to me by name but was so covered up in the right kit for the weather I never saw his face.


It was wet underfoot.  About knee deep in here I think.  Not place to venture.


The discomfort of the weather was made up for by the welcome in the Will' O' Nat's, the free bowl of stew and dumplings and the congenial social occasion with the usual sing when everyone had warmed up one way or another.