Monday 29 July 2013

HOMING HUNT BEAGLES




I notice from the stats, that despite only having been functional for just over a week this site has been seen from the Wild West to the Exotic East and sundry places in between, north of the equator.  How is this possible I wonder since my research with search engines seems to suggest they have yet to discover it?  Pure chance I suppose as they were probably looking for something quite different. 

In the search engine test I did to prove the point I discovered a picture of three hounds with collars.  They looked remarkably like Colne Valley hounds to me but our hounds don't  wear collars.  Beagles used for hunting are somewhat different in appearance from their pedigree brethren, having their own type of pedigree to make them fit for purpose.  Unlike some of the biscuit barrel shaped ones one sometimes sees these hounds looked fit and well proportioned yet they wore collars.  Checking the source I soon realised why.   

The picture I found was this one and it led me to the link below about a retired Colne Valley hound called Taboo.


 
http://www.animalrehabilitation.co.uk/testimonials/hall-of-fame/taboo/



The Colne Valley Beagles look to home hounds that have retired or lost interest and despite what I was told many years ago they settle down happily to family life and make fantastic pets.  Beagles love children which is why they are such a hit at country shows when they are paraded and then children are encouraged to come into the ring to mix with them and pet them.  So Taboo became adopted and below is a photo taken when a puppy.  Having taken on three beagles must illustrate the point that rehoming retirees works and can give mutual pleasure.   As it happens my cousin who lives down south in Watlington, Oxfordshire, adopted Treasure who must be from the same litter as Taboo, having a name beginning with T.



Taboo on the left in 2004

Just for comparison, Treasure is the light hound on the right.  She lost interest and asked for early retirement



as can be seen below