Monday 23 September 2013

LEEDS

Leeds has a wonderful indoor market.  I wonder if people don't realise what they are missing.  

Leeds, I was told, thrives because of the university but I am sure the profession lady shoppers who stride around elegantly clutching designer carrier bags have a hand in it too as well the mass of office workers and ordinary shoppers.

But let's look at the market first

Bit of graffiti on the way.  There are three arches of similar style or worse depending on your appreciation.  I have a feeling these are supposed to be good but not exactly Banksy!

The impressive facade to Leeds City Market
And the impressive interior just inside -


But I loved the fish stall displays -

 Notice the two stall holders checking their artistry.




Fantastic greengrocery stall -

How do they manage to sell all this stuff before it goes to waste?

I like the look this little lad is giving me.  Time he did some walking and let his mum use the rest of the pram for shopping.










Then out in the street -  I couldn't decide at first but I think it is a fella.

 A couple of the arcades


The street performers I saw were very good.

Lots of these chaps with trolleys like this.  Not really sure what the stuff is they sell but it all looked the same to me.  Never saw anyone buying but there must be some sort of living there although not much of a one I would think.

Rotten thing to take this poor chap's photo as he had dropped off for a minute.  He woke up just after I took the shot and wondered why people were looking at him
The new Trinity shopping mall I passed through.  The horse is really good although I don't know what it represents.   Looks a bit of a fine horse to be a beast of burden and it has a bell too

Suppose it is a pack horse

Outside one entrance.  Must be some symbolism there somewhere but I am ignorant of it.


I like this photo.  This girl was being made up in an expensive looking beauty salon in an arcade.  She seemed to be there for ages as I passed through again later as she was still there with another girl tittivating her face or something.  But what tickles me is the reflection in the glass aligned with her nose from a shop across the arcade.

This silver statue 'beggar' was not very immobile but he bowed for the contribution from a chap who wanted to be photographed beside him later.

I got distracted taking the photo below this one.
 I think this is sexist.  Why pick on men.

Part of a display in the window of the beauty salon.  Brilliant.  The picture is a mixture of the display and the reflections from outide.

At least he drinks his own coffee - or appears to.

Another good singer

Just an outdoor coffee bar.  Was attracted to the 'sinister' look.


That's is the end of my walk around Leeds center.  As my friend said when I critisized the purple apartments, Leeds has some really fine architecture and none more so than the beautifully proportioned old factory buildings that have been turned into apartments.

I took this from across the river.

Next it will be the Leeds and Liverpool canal.  The hard work starts.  No more push button locks.